Music and technology collide to create Channel Noise

Peyton Callanan

On Nov. 28, Georgia Southern University students will have the chance to experience Channel Noise, a biannual concert series that explores what happens when music and technology collide.

The concert takes place on tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at the music department’s Carter Recital Hall and admission is free.

“The music of the concert is eye opening and possible mind-altering. What isn’t enjoyable about that,” John Thompson, associate professor of music technology, said.

Thompson started the series in 2009 and is responsible for picking the music that is performed and making sure it is performed to standard.

“I am always seeking to make the Channel Noise concerts exciting and compelling musical events. We strive to introduce new musical experiences to the audience in a way that challenges their expectations but at the same time doesn’t disappoint,” Thompson said.

This event will be the debut of the recently formed Electronic Music Ensemble, Thompson said. The ensemble will be performing music by Terry Riley and graduate student Zak Berkowitz, Thompson said.

“I just had someone tell me this was their favorite recital of the semester because they never know what is going to happen,” Berkowitz said, a graduate student in the music technology program.

Riley’s piece, “In C,” is widely regarded as the first composition of minimalist music and the ensemble has worked to update the piece into the 21st century, Thompson said.

Berkowitz’s work “Anywhere, USA” actually encourages audience members to use their cellphones to participate by texting the ensemble themselves. The text messages will inform the players about what to play and how, Thompson said.

“I think that it will be a really good time to check out my work and participate because it will probably be something you have never done at a concert before,” Berkowitz said.

“I think students will like this event because it is current and different than the norm. I also think that students will enjoy it because it takes risks and seeks to go outside the normal concert experience. We usually have a pretty good crowd, so I think we are doing something right,” Thompson said.

The concerts offer the Music Technology Program a chance to showcase our research and creative activity, Thompson said.

Thompson said, “It is always enjoyable to share our hard work and attempt to bring the concepts that we explore into the reality of a concert.”