Haunted Forest on campus to scare for a good cause

• File photo

William Price

Witches, werewolves and more await visitors as the annual Haunted Forest makes its sinister return to the Georgia Southern University campus.

“I’m ecstatic. It’s going to be too much fun,” Emily Eisenhart, director of the Center for Addiction Recovery, said.

The event will take place from 8 p.m. to midnight Oct. 24-27 and Oct. 29-31 at the trail on Malecki Road, next to the soccer field and water tower.

The event is put on by the Center for Addiction Recovery at GSU, Boys & Girls Club of Bulloch County, and for the first time the Statesboro Music Festival will be involved. All proceeds from the event go to the Boys & Girls Club and the Center for Addiction Recovery.

“We want to help them with sponsorship, marketing and press. We want to increase awareness in the community for the event,” Laura Cooke, director of marketing at the Statesboro Music Festival, said.

Statesboro Music Festival will be bringing live music to the event with local artists Sam Sniper, Cyril Durant, Connor Pledger, EvenSon and Ogeechee River Mud. There will be music on Friday and Saturday night, as well as Halloween night.

“We are really happy to get involved with the Haunted Forest. It benefits two of Statesboro Music

“I hope students will come out to the Haunted Forest and support these organizations that are making a huge difference in our community,” Sara Spigener, administrative assistant at the Boys & Girls Club of Bulloch County, said.

“The Haunted Forest raises a lot of unrestricted funds to help kids in the Bulloch County area,” Spigener said.

The club helps over 400 kids in the Bulloch County area who don’t have adult care or supervision with things like tutoring, coaching and homework help.

The event also serves as a way for local addiction recovery and volunteer centers to get involved in the community.

Some of the volunteers will be from local halfway houses; the Haunted Forest is a great way for people struggling with addiction to enjoy themselves for a few nights, Eisenhart said.

Many on campus student organizations are also volunteering members for the event, such as the Gay and Straight Alliance, Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity and the club baseball team.

Eisenhart said, “It’s really a great way for students to give back to the local community and have a great time at the same time. It should be great.”