Ferris wheels and funnel cakes

Laurianna Cull

Statesboro will host the 51st annual Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair Oct. 15– 20, which will provide great deals for students as well as a week of adventure and thrills.

“This fair is special because it is the only fair in the area, and people look forward to it each year. Some schools let out the week of the fair, so the kids get really excited and save their money. It’s for the community,” Bill Ponder, vice chair of rides, ticket sales and passes, said.

The Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair will support education by offering a School Day on Wednesday Oct. 17. On Wednesday, students get into the fair for a dollar if they bring their student ID.

The Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair also shows its love of the community through its numerous charitable donations and scholarship programs.

“We put on the fair not only for entertainment, but the money we make we give back to the community the following year. We donate to so many charitable organizations, and we provide three $1,500 scholarships to Georgia Southern University. We try to support education as much as we can,” Bill Ponder said.

The fair has something for everyone. There will be familiar rides such as the crazy mouse roller coaster, which has been at the fair for three years, as well as new rides like the giant swing, Don Poe, fair chairman, said.

There will also be numerous games, live music, food, prizes, a petting zoo, a magic show, pig racing, blacksmith demonstrations, donations and a country store.

To get things started with flare, there will be a festive parade throughout the streets of Statesboro on the opening night of the fair beginning at 5 p.m.

It will start near the intersection of North Main and Northside Drive and conclude at College Plaza.

“People go crazy to see the parade. It’s the community aspect of it. There are always two to four local bands as well as the GSU Eagle Marching Band and the Statesboro High School Marching Band. The parade kicks off the fair and brings everyone together,” Greg Ponder, former parade chairman, said.

The Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair does not only pride itself on its 51 years of tradition, fun and sense of community, but it also encourages its patrons to give back to the community by bringing one canned food item with them to the fair on opening night.

If you bring a canned good, you will receive $2 off the original $5 price of admission. All canned goods will be donated to the Statesboro Food Bank.