Student registration effort surpasses 1,000

Isaac Carrasco

Over a span of eight weeks, more than 1,000 Georgia Southern University students registered to vote during the voter registration drive.

The Bulloch County Democrats, Bulloch County Republican Party, College Republicans, Young Democrats and the Student Government Association organized the voter registration drive that started in August.

The drive exceeded expectations for registration this year, Marc Silver, president of the Young Democrats, said.

The registration drive was the result of much cooperation among faculty and students, Cody Randall, second vice chair and state treasurer of College Republicans, said.

“It was an amazing effort. Dean Jackson and Dr. Vince Miller were a huge help sending emails reminding people to sign up for voting registration,” Randall said.

“It is one of our rights and allows people to have a say. You should vote and be educated on who you’re voting for,” Silver said.

The College Republicans have done other things to encourage citizens to vote.

The College Republicans met with the Statesboro GOP at their headquarters for campaigning and did what was asked of them. They were given a list of names and houses and knocked on each door reminding the residents to vote for Mitt Romney along with small business, low taxes and conservative values, Randall said.

“Studies show that people who begin to vote at a young age are more likely to become involved in their community and follow along with political issues,” Randall said.

The Federal Department of Justice approved the early voting movement for GSU earlier this month.

Early voting stations will open on Oct. 23 and close Oct. 25 and will be located in the Russell Union Ballroom.