Vote for student fees nears conclusion

Lauren Gorla

Today is the last day that Georgia Southern University students can access WINGS to make their voice heard on the three proposed student fees for 2013.

“I can see all three getting passed, and I personally hope all three pass,” Christina Belge, SGA executive vice president said.

Students across campus have been logging onto their WINGS accounts and voting ‘yes’ or ‘no’ for three different fees on sustainability, the possible move to FBS if GSU receives an invitation and expanding Allen E. Paulson Stadium.

“It’s your money so therefore you should have a say,” Belge said.

Patrick Teate, senator for the College of Science and Mathematics, agreed with Belge on students needing to vote.

“It’s a lot of money, and it’s a lot of change,” Teate said.

“I think it’s important for the student voice to be heard,” Patrice Jackson, dean of students, said.

Many students may have heard that if a student does not vote at all, then an automatic yes will be submitted for the three fees. These rumors are not true and should not be taken seriously by students, Jackson said.

The student vote is not the final say on whether or not these fees will definitely be applied to student’s bills in the upcoming years.  If students vote yes to the new fees, then it will go on to the Board of Regents to make the final decision.  If students vote no, then the fee will be put to rest, Jackson said.

“We are making a decision on the majority of voters. Whatever the majority decides will determine whether or not we propose it to the Board of Regents or not,” Jackson said.

Students on campus shared how they voted and reasons why they agree or disagree with the three fees up for vote.

Expanding the stadium seems like the right thing to do, Gavin Brown, junior finance major, said.

“I think it will attract more people and show off the school,” Brown said.

Brown voted yes to all three fees.

Some students feel like too much attention is being placed on football and education is being ignored.

“I don’t see how football is going to help me after graduation,” Taleesa Davis, junior early childhood education major, said.

Davis voted no to the $75 FBS and $25 expansion fees but did vote yes to the $10 green fee.

One student felt that the football team should stay in the Football Championship Subdivision.

“I don’t think we’ll do as good if we move up,” Lindsay Frantz, freshman undeclared, said.

Marching band members like Michael Johnson, junior psychology major, appreciate the potential of having a larger stadium.  He voted yes to all three of the fees.

“This year the marching band got compressed because it’s really hard to put us all in there,” Johnson said.

“The green fee is really necessary because from what I understand there’s no budget (for the Center for Sustainability),” Johnson said.

Hall council members in Centennial Place have also been working this week to make sure every student has the chance to vote and understands what he or she is voting for.

“All we’re trying to do is have students make an informed vote,” Aubrey Trevathan, freshman public relations major and director of marketing for Centennial Place, said.

Trevathan said Southern Pines is having a voting party for the student-voting fee.