Averitt allows painters to ‘Sip and Dip’

•  

Peyton Callanan

The Averitt Center for the Arts will provide a painting workshop taught by a Georgia Southern University student that will allow attendees to explore their creative side while they sip on the beverage of their choice.

The “Sip and Dip” workshop will consist of three separate classes on Sept. 27, Oct. 11 and Oct. 25 each with a different theme, and will be taught by GSU student Haley Tam, junior graphic design major.

“The students will be given a template to follow, a quick lesson on color theory, a canvas and access to all the paint they want. The students are also invited to bring the beverage of their choosing to sip on while they paint,” Tony Phillips, program director at the Averitt Center, said.

The event costs $35 for members and $44 for non-members of the Averitt Center and no prior experience in painting is required.  Though the event is open to anyone over the age of 16, patrons 21 or older can bring alcoholic beverages.

“It’s not just for artist; you could have never picked up a brush before. You can have fun and leave with your own master piece,” Tam said.

Tam will guide students through all three classes from 7 to 9 p.m., each with their own special theme, the first is “Swirly Tree,” the second “Rooster” and the third “Funky Flower Vase.”

Tam taught similar classes during the summer in Thomson, Ga. and wanted to provide them to the Statesboro community at the Averitt Center where she volunteers.

“I had several people tell me about similar classes they had taken, and they told me to look into it, so I did a little research and started them back home in Thomson through the McDuffie Arts Council,” Tam said.

Tam, who also teaches private lessons and does commissioned artwork, has had a love of art all of her life.

“Since preschool I have stood up at career day and said I want to be an artist. I have taken lessons my whole life and always known I want to work in graphic design. Painting just came along with that,” Tam said.

The Averitt Center offers a wide variety of programs and classes for the local community that allows them to explore the world of art in a way they might not otherwise be able to in Statesboro.

Victoria Barlow, junior fashion design major, said, “I think as far as arts go it’s really relaxing. You can just let go.”