September faculty senate meeting recap

Kyle Clark

STATESBORO — The faculty senate had its second meeting of the semester Sept. 17. There were no action items on the agenda. Most of the discussion was centered around the president’s report and Provost’s report. 

The meeting began with the librarian’s report, delivered by Michelle Haberland. 

Following that senate president Helen Bland spoke to the senate about upcoming listening sessions.

From there president Kyle Marrero delivered his report. Among his talking points included inclusive excellence. He is meeting with a group of students on matters of diversity once every two weeks, along with the continued search for a cabinet member who’s focus will be on diversity. 

Marrero also discussed the budget, mostly recounting the facts so far and what the university’s plans are moving forward. According to Marrero during the report mid semester courses are going to provide a needed boost to GS’ total credit hours. 

In regards to faculty, Marrero mentioned the addition of rewards centered on the pillars of GS’ strategic plan, along with an employee of the year award. 

Then Provost Carl Reiber gave his report. He discussed some of the confusion around the storm cancellations and stressed that a closed campus does not mean vacation. 

Reiber also discussed the reduction of the core credit hours from 42 to 30, and now the university is uncertain as to which classes will be cut from it at this time. 

When opened up to questions, faculty members expressed concerns with both the core reduction, and their frustrations with evaluation forms and a lack of faculty input in their design. 

After that Maxine Bryant delivered her presentation on inclusive excellence. 

Finally the senate discussed requests for information they had received since the previous meeting. Among these was last year’s salary study, and the idea of allowing students to have their chosen name on record and class roll instead of their birth name. 

The next faculty senate meeting will be Oct. 23. 

Kyle Clark, The George-Anne Daily Managing Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu