President Student Advisory Council to host meet and greet with local police departments

Nathan Woodruff

STATESBORO — The President Student Advisory Council on diversity and inclusion will have a meet and greet with local law enforcement.

The event will be held at the Nessmith-Lane ballroom on Oct. 10 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. 

The event is designed to give students and law enforcement officers a chance to get to know each other so Georgia Southern can have a safer and more inclusive environment. 

“As we move forward, we will create agendas and actions of how [the police departments] can help me and this institution do a better job and surely with their environment is inclusive and safe,” GS President Kyle Marrero said.

The event will feature officers from the GS Police Department, the Statesboro Police Department and the Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office. 

The event is designed for students and law enforcement officers to see each other in a positive light and get to know each other.

Intersections with police officers are naturally tense situations, so it is good for students and officers to see the human side of the other, Marrero said.

“Nine times out of 10, when you think of when you intersect with a police officer… it’s going to be a tense situation. Something is happening in one way or another,” Marrero said.

The event will allow students and law enforcement to see the human side of each other, Marrero said.

“They finally see it from the human perspective for the officer, not just the uniform,” Marrero said. “It’s that aspect of engagement. That’s critical, I think, as we all progress on this journey of inclusive excellence.”

More about the President Student Advisory Council on diversity and inclusion can be found here.

Nathan Woodruff, The George-Anne Managing News Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu