Yoga Made Simple

Student Government Association members from all three Georgia Southern campuses gathered at a joint session in order to vote on pieces of university-wide legislation.

So you’ve decided to finally start doing yoga, but after going to the gym and seeing the many options they have, your head is spinning and you are a little confused by all the different styles of yoga that are out there. Don’t worry or be fearful, here is the inside scoop for choosing the best yoga style for you.
_MG_7769

Yoga and Meditation

focuses on relaxation and peace of mind. Shut out all your negative thoughts and outside distractions and get in touch with your natural spirit. Yoga is more than just sitting still a few times each day and your mind is filled with thoughts worries and personal fears you experience.

“Practicing meditation at a peaceful place like at sweetheart circle or going to a yoga class at the RAC gives me a flow of energy and good vibes throughout the day and I try to do it at least twice a day or whenever I can fit it in,” Kechan Bailey, senior English major, said.

Vinyasa Yoga

focuses on synchronized breath. It is sometimes called “flow yoga” because it’s smooth poses that run together almost like a dance. Your breath acts as a beat for each of your movements.
“Vinyasa is a Sanskrit term that means linking movements together with breath, so each pose/posture is paired with an inhale or exhale and flows smoothly into the next pose,” Shana Flury, junior Spanish major and yoga instructor at the RAC, said.

Power Yoga

basically is the more rigorous and fitness based style of Vinyasa yoga. You can expect to see minimal amounts of meditation and chanting with more intense flowing yoga. Gyms usually classify this as more of an exercise class.
“Power yoga is a high energy, higher intensity style of yoga that will definitely leave you sweating,”Bailey said.

Yin Yoga

is a slow-paced style of yoga with postures, or asanas, that are held for longer periods of time—for beginners, it may range from 45 seconds to two minutes.

“Yin, if you are familiar with the concept of a Yin Yang, takes a more passive approach.It is less intense than the Vinyasa style.That’s why Yin is used to build flexibility, to get deep into connective tissues, and to encourage meditation,” said Flury.

Yin Yoga is unique in that you are asked to relax in the posture, soften the muscle and move closer to the bone.
So how can you decide which style is best for you?  Each style of yoga that can fit your specific needs whether you are looking for a good workout or if you are or if you’re not into exercise at all.
“So as far as what style is most beneficial, it really depends on what your goals are,” said Flury.
If you want to really work out and sweat look into trying these

• Vinyasa yoga
  • Power yoga

If you are looking for inner peace or stress management, look into trying these

• Yin yoga
  • Yoga and meditation