Statesboro community, students gather for fourth annual Prayer Walk

Anthony Belinfante

STATESBORO —Georgia Southern hosted the fourth annual Prayer Walk on Thursday, celebrating faith and religion amongst students and the Statesboro community.

Starting on Olympic Boulevard, students and community members gathered together to socialize and enjoy live Christian music with the sororities and fraternities on Greek Row. 

“I’m a child of God, yes I am,” one song said, which was echoed repeatedly by attendees.

While the crowd grew larger as the night went on, the event still felt intimate as students hugged one another and bonded over their beliefs.

A song titled Tremble seemed to resonate with the audience the mos, with more singing along compared to the previous songs performed.

“Jesus, you make the darkness tremble,” was repeated multiple times by the audience as the live band performed. 

Students and community members were also given a heartfelt testimony from a former GS student, in which he told his story of drug and alcohol use that resulted in a lifestyle change thanks to his confidence in religion.

“Just know that he loves you and wants so much for you,” Hank Nunnally, a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity, said.

During the testimony, the audience lit up the boulevard with candles, creating a warm atmosphere.

Students later broke off into small groups to pray with friends and interact with one another.

“To see kids that actually care and want to have a relationship with God and come out here and unite as one and to just be able to have fellowship is one of the main reasons I come out here,” McKenney Corbett, a GS student, said.

The event concluded with more live music, prayer and students writing their prayers on a cross.

Anthony Belinfante, The George-Anne News Reporter, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu