Georgia Southern Engineering Graduate Program offers students many opportunities

Davon Johnson

STATESBORO — The engineering graduate program at Georgia Southern offers numerous degree options for undergrad students to apply for. 

The program offers civil engineering, applied engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science and information technology. 

“The goal of the program is it trains the next generation of professional workforce to be competitively placed in advanced industries as well as graduate studies, nationwide and internationally,” Masoud Davari, electrical and computer engineering professor, said.

Each masters degree is associated with one of the pillars in engineering and applied sciences. 

Getting a degree in each of the related fields can put engineering students aside in a market, whose bar always raises because of the existing tough completions.

“You’ll have the ability to get a managerial position like project manager because most places do require a master’s degree,” Cesar Carapia, mechanical engineering major, said.

All classes are tied side by side with the undergraduate sections of the course but the physical load is different for courses.

Internships are a great option to get a job right after graduation and each internship that is on  an engineering major’s resume counts as a year of experience.

“If you can come out of Georgia Southern with a master’s degree and three years experience then you are golden and it makes getting a job easier,” Lewy Morrison, mechanical engineering major, said.

Future engineering students can look forward to getting close with their professors to help them along the way.

“In your sophomore or junior year you should start deciding what kind of research you want to do, so explore the different professors and see what you like,” Morrison said. “Professors will sponsor you whenever you apply for grad school.”

The priority deadline to apply for the engineering graduate program for spring quarter is Oct. 1 and the final deadline is on Nov. 15.

Davon Johnson, The George-Anne News Reporter, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu