Nine artsy events to attend in September and October

Blakeley Bartee

Photo by Mick Miller

Georgia Southern University has several events in arts, writing and theatre planned for September and October. Here are nine exhibitions, performances, presentations and readings in Statesboro and Savannah.

The following information is from the GS event calendar and theatre schedules for the Statesboro and Armstrong campuses.

Sept. 9 – 23: Alumni exhibitions on the Armstrong and Statesboro campuses

Both campuses will host alumni exhibitions in September, featuring originals in photography, ceramics, paintings, digital design, mixed media and more.

Statesboro campus location: Center for Art & Theatre

Armstrong campus location: Fine Arts, 129

Sept. 9 – 23: Faculty exhibition at the Center for Art & Theatre in Statesboro

The Statesboro campus will exhibit work from Jeff Garland, Matthew Mogle and Jason Murdock.

Location: Center for Art & Theatre, University Gallery

Sept. 27: Presentation by writer Susan Orlean at the Armstrong Center

Susan Orlean is a journalist, author and staff writer for The New Yorker. She will deliver a presentation on her new book, “The Library Book,” and have a Q&A and book signing with attendees. The event is free and open to the public, but free tickets are required. To reserve your ticket, call 912-478-5555.

Location: The Armstrong Center on the Armstrong campus

Time: 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Oct. 7 – Oct. 25: Fall Senior Exhibition 2019 (Exhibition 1) at the Fine Arts Hall at Armstrong

At this exhibition, graduating seniors will showcase their college art portfolios.

Location: Fine Arts, 129 at the Armstrong Campus

Oct. 16 – 26: “The Importance of Being Earnest” and “Hay Fever” at the Center for Art & Theatre in Statesboro

This October, the theatre department will perform the plays “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde and “Hay Fever” by Noel Coward on rotation.

From the Theatre & Performance Schedule: “In rotating rep, you can come on one night and see Wilde’s rambunctious romp through Victorian ideals. Identity and class try to get in the way of true love (and tea and cake) in this classic comedy of love.  Come back another night to see Coward’s take on class and manners in the Jazz age of the 1920s. The Bliss family doesn’t like to play by the rules and their hapless guests are at the mercy of these eccentric oddballs.”

Location: Center for Art & Theatre, Black Box Theatre

Price: $6 for students; $12 general admission

Tickets and showtimes: Click here

Oct. 17: Reading and craft talk by poet Beth Ann Fennelly in Savannah

Beth Ann Fennelly, the Poet Laureate of Mississippi, will deliver both a craft talk and a reading in Savannah as part of the Visiting Writer Series from the College of Arts and Humanities. Both events are free.

Craft talk time and location: 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Gamble Hall on the Armstrong campus

Poetry reading time and location: 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Savannah Coffee Roasters

Oct. 21 – Dec. 6: Exhibition – Raheleh Filsoofi at the Center for Art & Theatre in Statesboro

This exhibition will showcase work from Raheleh Filsoofi, an artist based in Texas, South Florida and Iran. She is a multi-disciplinary artist whose work incorporates ancient and contemporary media and aims for a holistic experience, according to the event calendar.

Location: Center for Art & Theatre, Contemporary Gallery

Oct. 21 – Dec. 6: Exhibition – Dan Funderburgh: All Things At Once at the Center for Art & Theatre in Statesboro

Work by Brooklyn-based artist Dan Funderburgh will be on view at the University Gallery. His work explores the density of communication by way of logos, graphics and pattern density, according to the event calendar.

Oct. 31 – Nov. 8: “The Addams Family” at Jenkins Hall at Armstrong

Armstrong Campus Theatre will perform the musical comedy “The Addams Family,” with an opening night on Halloween.

From the Fine Arts Box Office: “Wednesday Addams, the ultimate princess of darkness, has grown up and fallen in love with a sweet, smart young man from a respectable family a man her parents have never met … Everything will change for the whole family on the fateful night they host a dinner for Wednesday’s ‘normal’ boyfriend and his parents.”

Location: Armstrong Jenkins Hall Theater

Price: $12 for students, senior citizens, military and children; $15 general admission

Tickets and showtimes: Click here