Softball concludes busy week going 1-2 in weekend series play

Amanda Arnold

The Georgia Southern softball team went 1-2 in a three game series against conference opponent, Troy University, to improve to 19-21 overall this weekend.

Due to weather issues, Sunday’s game was cancelled and rescheduled for Saturday afternoon immediately after game two. This double header was favorable for the Eagles, who managed to win the last game of the series after falling in the first two.

Friday night, GS was held to one run in the whole game as Troy scored four runs in the first two innings alone. A double RBI by sophomore outfielder Ellington Day put GS on the board in the second inning.

GS was held to five hits from Trojan sophomore pitcher Annie Willis, who is averaging a 2.71 ERA this season. Sophomore pitcher Rylee Waldrep allowed five runs and four runs in her two innings of work, and the relief from freshman Shelby Barfield and senior Kaylee Ramos allowed another run and three more hits.

The game was suspended due to lightning at the end of the seventh inning, but the final score was 6-1.

Saturday’s first match also ended in a 6-1 score, with the lone GS run coming from junior outfielder Shayla Smith in the seventh inning. This was the first home run in her collegiate career.

The majority of Trojan runs came in the seventh inning, with the other two runs scored in the first. GS senior Hannah Farrell and Smith notched two hits on bat in the game.

Freshman pitcher Ashleigh Morton gave up seven hits and six runs in the game, while pitching almost the full seven innings.

In the series finale, GS took home the victory, 5-3. The game was scoreless until the third inning, when the Trojans put three on the board due to a home run by senior outfielder Stephanie Snyder.

Freshman first baseman Faith Shirley’s sixth inning hit brought three runners home to tie the game. Junior outfielder Shelby Wilson hit a single, which assisted senior shortstop Macy Coleman in bringing in two more runs for the Eagles with her home run.

Barfield pitched for majority of the game, while going two innings with no hits allowed. She struck out one Trojan and walked two.

With this win, GS has a 5-12 conference record, while Troy boasts a 14-5 record. The team will return to Eagle Field on Thursday at 6 p.m. to face Texas State to open a three game series.

Amanda Arnold, The George-Anne Sports Reporter, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu