Make your own tour: GSU’s new self-guided tours

STATESBORO — As an alternative to the group tours, the Office of Admissions has begun offering self-guided tours on both the Statesboro and Armstrong campuses. Out of interest, I took one of these tours myself, and enjoyed a nice and informative stroll around campus.

Beginning at Lewis Hall or Victor Hall, depending on the campus, participants are invited to take a pamphlet with a map of the campus, with a QR code available to scan that would take them to a webpage detailing a “path” for their tour to follow. On the Statesboro tour at least, this path follows a circular trek around campus, visiting hotspots like the Hanner Fieldhouse, Russell Union, and the RAC while also touching upon lesser known (but still important) locales like the Eidson House and Cone Hall.

Having taken part in the original group format–and personally never one for crowds–the opportunity to take the tour alone and at my own pace was a breath of fresh air. The freedom of also not being on a predetermined path was also a welcome addition; your only guide on the tour is the next destination, but you’re free to reach it in your own way. You could even make a path yourself, going to each stop in an order you choose. It’s certainly a much freer experience.

At each “stop” on the tour, the webpage would provide an optional video that would briefly discuss the location in question, listing details like its current role on campus, its history, or some of its unique features. While the videos were informative, some even providing info I didn’t know after four years here, it was a bit surprising how short they were, with most only giving around 10 seconds of info. Some destinations on the tour didn’t even receive an informational video, though most of them did at least provide a link to the corresponding department’s webpage.

Some places I would personally consider “hotspots” on campus, such as the Nursing/Chemistry Building, the College of Education, and the Biological Sciences Building, weren’t even addressed on the tour, even though areas much farther from the rest of the tour destinations, like the RAC and Paulson Stadium, were.

I’m aware that addressing every building on campus in a reasonable amount of time is feasibly impossible, as well as the fact that I’ve been here for four years (and at least two campus tours) has probably dampened my experience somewhat, and despite my qualms I did genuinely enjoy the tour. For someone who is curious about the campus but doesn’t like the restrictions or company of a group tour, this option is certainly worth a look.