Game Preview: Eagles set to take on Panthers in rivalry game

As Rivalry Week takes place across the country, Eagles take on the school in Atlanta

DJ Cadden, Sports Correspondent

As former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield said last week, “A little brother always needs to be put in his place.”

This statement perfectly applies to this weekend’s game between Georgia Southern and Georgia State. The big brother, Georgia Southern, looks to put their inferior opponent in their place.

For the Panthers, despite ranking 68th in America in yards per game, offense is the name of the game as they still average nearly 400 yards every game.

Led by freshman quarterback Cornelious Brown, the Panthers have put together one of the rushing attacks in college football. The running back group is a three-headed monster consisting of Destin Coates, Tucker Gregg and Jaymest Williams.

On the other hand, Georgia State has struggled mightily on the defensive side of the ball. The Panthers have given up an average of more than 440 yards per game in 2020.

Despite the defensive struggles, the Panthers have shown a nose for the ball. In seven games, the Panther have forced 15 total turnovers, good enough for seventh in the country. Against an Eagle team who has lost 10 total turnovers, this could prove fatal.

On the other side, the Eagles will be without three key players in running back Wesley Kennedy III, defensive linemen CJ Wright, and cornerback Chris Harris Jr. after all three players were arrested.

If the Eagles want to win this game, the ground game must find their footing as they look to rebound after losing Kennedy and JD King. Players such as Logan Wright, Gerald Green and Matt Laroche should see massive upticks in their workload.

In conclusion, Saturday’s game should prove to be a high-scoring affair. Both teams have struggled on the defensive side of the ball, but have proven to be more than competent on offense.

DJ’s Prediction: Eagles take down their little brother 34-28.