Armstrong Graduate to exhibit artwork in Fresh Exhibitions gallery and Art March

Lisa Coh by
Unique print by Lisa Coh

By Emily Smith, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Armstrong graduate, Lisa Coh, will be exhibiting her artwork at Art Rise Savannah’s Fresh Exhibitions Gallery as part of the Art March on Nov. 7. The Fresh Exhibit Fellowship is a free two-week long show offered to winners of a quarterly call for proposals and Coh was one of the few artists to receive the opportunity.
Art Rise covers the costs for publicity and showcards and sets up events for the selected artists.

Judging is broken down into five major categories: Workmanship, Concept, Professionalism, Use of Space and Community Benefit. The program looks for exhibitions that have both exceptional artistic merit and the potential to educate or engage the community. That engagement could be through a workshop on a specific artistic process, a lecture on sustainable art making, or simply by starting a dialogue with via unique subject matter or medium.

“During our jury process, Lisa’s work stood out as especially bold. Her subject matter exploring the entanglement of women and nature was fresh and her focus on the figure really set her apart,” Editor-in-Chief of the Savannah Art Informer, Kayla Goggin said. “Her prints also have this really rough, beautifully tactile quality to them that I could immediately feel even through her online proposal.”

Lisa received a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a concentration in Printmaking from Armstrong and her work is all handprinted, monochromatic woodcuts. This is the first time that she has been involved with the Art Rise program. “They really work with you to put together show card designs and work out a schedule,” Coh said. “But really the whole thing is at the artist’s discretion.”

To get involved in the fellowship, one must submit to the website a small portfolio, an artistic statement, and a resume.

“It’s a really good opportunity to be able to put together your own show but still have support from the organization to fall back on,” Lisa Coh said.

Lisa will be exhibiting her artwork at Art Rise Savannah’s Fresh Exhibitions Gallery on Nov. 7 at 2427 Desoto Avenue as part of the Art March. She will also be hosting a workshop on relief printmaking at the gallery on Nov. 15 that will allow people to watch her process and then try it out for themselves.