Record-setting performances propel Pirates to victory

volleyball bad

By Berry Aldridge, Sports Editor

Armstrong State University Women’s Volleyball continued their banner season Nov. 1 by defeating the Flagler Saints in three straight games to extend their current winning streak to 19.

The Pirates set the tone early for the entire day, winning the first set 25-3. This marked a new record for the lowest points allowed for Armstrong since the 25 point rally scoring system was first introduced in 2008. The next two, 25-15 and 25-10, did not see much improvement for the Saints.

Sophomore Rachel Thompson’s 15 kills led the Pirates for the day. Her .778 hitting percentage on the match ranks fourth in Armstrong History for a single match.

“1000 digs was a great milestone,” Stephanie Sfara said, “It was nice to take a minute to realize how far I’ve come and to be thankful that I’ve had the opportunity to be a part of an outstanding program that allows me to achieve these accomplishments.”

Other major contributors were sophomore Emily Wylie with 10 kills, Kamryn Sherman with 37 assists, and seniors Morgan Hill and Stephanie Sfara with 10 digs apiece. Sfara’s digs propelled her to 1,009 career digs, ranking her 10th all-time for Armstrong.

Saturday was also Senior Day for the Pirates. Seniors Taylor Permenter, Katie Broderick, Sherman, Hill, and Sfara were honored with their framed jerseys and a bouquet of flowers.

Armstrong takes the court next when they travel to Aiken, SC to take on the Pacers of USC-Aiken in a Peach Belt Conference match.