Georgia Southern graduate student named 2019 New Face of Civil Engineering Professionals

• Mariah Peart, a civil engineering graduate student with a concentration in structural engineering, was named one of 2019 New Faces of Civil Engineering Professionals.

Tori Collins

American Society of Civil Engineers named a Georgia Southern University graduate student one of the New Faces for 2019 Civil Engineering Professionals.

Mariah Peart, a civil engineering graduate student with a concentration in structural engineering, was named one of 2019 New Faces of Civil Engineering Professionals.

“I am overwhelmed with amazement,” Peart said. “This award not only impacts me as a student, but it shines a positive light to the entire Civil Engineering and Construction department, and to Georgia Southern University.”

Every year ASCE recognizes 10 college students and 10 professionals in civil engineering. The applicants are selected based on their accomplishments and displays of talents relating to civil engineering.

Peart has an overwhelming resume consisting of  accomplishments, rewards and community service projects. She has made the President’s List since Spring 2016 and served as American Society of Civil Engineers Student Organization’s Secretary Officer and Vice President.

During GS’ 2018 Science Olympiad, Peart volunteered as a Construction and Operation judge for a roller coaster competition.

“These were all middle school students from different schools in the Statesboro area,” Peart said. “It was real exciting to keep them encouraged in what they were doing, because it’s something they can really apply when they grow up.”

Peart is currently working to become a Double Eagle. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from GS in May 2017, and decided to return to further her education.

As a child Peart’s parents were in the process of building their dream family home. She was inspired to study Civil Engineering by witnessing her parents plan the building of their home and look over blueprints.  

“I was a math person in middle school and I loved art,” Peart said. “So when I got ready to apply for college my senior year in high school, I was lead to look at the Civil Engineering curriculum and I saw that it really fit for what I wanted to do in the future.”

Gustavo Maldonado, a civil engineering professor at GS, encouraged Peart to apply for the ASCE 2019 New Faces of Civil Engineering.

“Mariah was especially encouraged because of her qualifications,” Maldonado said.

“We immediately noticed that she was very responsible, she was intelligent, being successful on all the grades and test.”

Peart plans to finish her graduate program and graduate in May with her Masters Degree.

“My plan after graduation is to have a career with an engineering company or a career as a government engineer where I can build a foundation in the skills that I have learned over the years,” Peart said. “Also, I’m considering to pursue my Ph.D in a Civil Engineering focus, for the future.”

Tori Collins, The George-Anne Daily Reporter, gadaily@georgiasouthern.edu