Armstrong Pirate Softball Sweeps Southwestern in Saturday’s Series

Photo credit: Elizabeth Rhaney
Photo credit: Elizabeth Rhaney
Photo credit: Elizabeth Rhaney

By Kayla Berns, Staff Writer

The Armstrong Pirate Softball team dominated the Georgia Southwestern Hurricanes Saturday April 4th, in Americus Ga. The Pirates are currently ranked third in the Peach Belt Conference with a conference record of 10-2 and are determined to finish the season strong. They furthured this goal by defeated the Hurricanes 4-3 in game one and 8-4 in game two. These wins push their current winning streak to an impressive seven games.

Armstrong started Saturday’s doubleheader in full speed, grasping a 3-2 going into the fifth inning. Later, Junior Michelle Breen secured their lead with a run in the seventh inning. Pitcher Ollivia McLemore (11-3) managed to hold the Hurricanes to only three runs while scattering seven hits.

“Our pitchers threw great games all weekend, keeping us in the game when we were struggling to produce at the plate,” said Junior second baseman Peyton Roth.

Roth ignited the offense in the second game of the afternoon’s doubleheader, picking up an  RBI that resulted in the first run of the game during the fifth inning.

“We wanted to go to Southwestern and prove a point, which was to play our game. The past couple years we have given them chances to split the series, but with our determination were able to sweep them Saturday” said Roth.

Sophomore Bethany Ballard knocked in two more runs in the in the fourth inning holding a 3-0 lead. While, freshman Lindsay Stewarts two run home run contributed to the final score 8-6.

Well on their way to many more victories, The Pirates will travel to Aiken, South Carolina Tuesday, April 7, to take on the USC Aiken Pacers.