Senior Day Sweep Keeps Pirates at No. 2 in PBC

Softball Picture (from l to r- Ollivia McLemore, Rachel Reynolds, Alexis Mercer, all with parents.-  (Armstrong Comm.)

By Sarah Olin, Staff Writer

Armstrong’s softball team had something to celebrate this past Sunday after earning a sweep against visiting Francis Marion University on Senior Day. After winning a close first game 6-5, the Pirates took game two 11-3, ending the double header in five innings. The sweep pushes the Pirates to a 26-10 overall record and 15-3 in the Peach Belt Conference.

Before the game for the Senior Day ceremony Armstrong recognized their three seniors, pitcher Olivia McLemore, shortstop Alexis Mercer, and Rachel Reynolds, who pitches and plays first base.

The Patriots led the game until the bottom of the sixth inning when freshman Autumn Parish hit a two-run home run to tie the game at 5-5.

Sophomore Savanna Gladue led off the Pirates in the bottom of the seventh, hitting a single past the shortstop. After stealing second, she advanced to third from a wild pitch. After sophomore Bethany Ballard drew a walk, junior Peyton Roth then hit the game winning single to win the game 6-5.

In the second game, the Patriots jumped ahead again as they scored two unearned runs in the top of the first by a wild pitch and a single up the middle.

Junior Michelle Breen struck back with a three run homer to center field, which got the Pirates back in the lead at 3-2.

Senior Rachael Reynolds made her Senior Day memorable when she added two more runs in the bottom of the second with a rip over the left field fence. Parrish added another run with an RBI single to center field.

The Patriot’s singled in a run to make the game 6-3, but the Pirate’s adding another five runs to the scoreboard in the bottom of the fourth, evoking the mercy rule and ending the game after only five innings.

Junior Ashley Sterritt’s bases loaded-double pushed the Pirates ahead for a definite win over the Patriots.

McLemore said, “We didn’t come out as ready to play as we needed to in the first game but thankfully we got it together for the second game. We are coming together as a team and finding ways to win. We are a team I believe can achieve great things.”

The Pirates take the field again in St. Augustine, FL on Tuesday for a Peach Belt double header against Flagler at 4:00 p.m.