Cicada Rhythm to perform at Sentient Bean

BIGGEST pic

By Emily Smith, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The experimental folk, jazz-type duo Cicada Rhythm will be performing at The Sentient Bean Friday, June 12th, from 8–10 p.m.
The Athens, Georgia based band recently formed in January 2012 and have already performed at over 300 shows so far. Born and raised in Georgia, Andrea DeMarcus and Dave Kirslis are known for their acoustics and modernization of folk music. DeMarcus’ and Kirslis gain influences from various genres outside of folk such as jazz and blues that make for chilling, unique harmonies.

Flagpole Athens commented on the small group’s unexpectedly big sound. “Cloaked in sleepy sweetness, all ringing acoustic guitar and sliding upright bass, cooed vocals with snug, Welch/Rawlings-style harmonies, the Atlanta-based duo’s music lands with an impact you didn’t quite see coming.” In 2013, the duo won “Best Local Folk Act of Atlanta.” Never having played in Savannah before, the group is excited to have this city under their belt.

The group seems to have no plans of slowing down anytime soon seeing as they recently formally signed with New West Records in Nashville, Tennessee.

Cicada Rythm also just completed a nine day tour at the beginning of April.

Creative Loafing Charlotte highlighted the group’s unique craft. “Regardless of how the influences of folk, jazz and blues intermingled, Cicada Rhythm craft an open-hearted, inventive blend of American musics in deceptively simple songs that are both haunting and playfully jaunty.”