First drag show draws nearly 300 people

Edna Alan Hoe

By Emily Smith, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Armstrong’s first ever drag show took place April 21 with nearly 300 people in attendance. Hosted by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and promoted by Armstrong’s Gay Straight Alliance, the event was nearly two years in the making.

Due to the usual obscene nature associated with drag shows, the Gay Straight Alliance has been working for a long time to get the event approved through previous University officials. Nashia Whittenburg, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, essentially saw that the proposal was approved.

Student performer Carmen iCandy began drag show started with a “Mean Girls” inspired skit to the tune of Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy”. Following Ms. iCandy, current Miss Gay America Blair Williams took the stage.

Williams told the crowd of her 25 year journey to earning the title of Miss Gay America and the charity that she has adopted. She performed at the event free of charge and all donations were given to the Trevor Project. This organization provides life affirming services to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community.

Edna Allan Hoe soon followed with her representation of Joan Jett, keeping the audience on their toes as she mingled within the crowd. Next were performances by Sayyida, Vermillion, as well as drag kings Mr. Afrodike and Mr. Dikasin.

Natalie Knowles wowed the audience with her twelve minute choreographed piece to various popular Beyonce songs.

Collaboration models made the stage their runway in between performances, making for a night full of assorted acts.

All performers had been working on their shows for months before the big night.

“I thought it was extremely entertaining. Natalie’s performance was the highlight of the night,” freshman Civil Engineering major Luke Peterson said.

The audience was as diverse as the acts themselves, bringing students of all orientations and majors alike.

Williams called out different sexual orientations for audience members to cheer if they were gay, then cheer if they were bisexual, transgender, and straight. According to this scale, it was clear that the majority of the audience identified as straight, revealing Armstrong’s large group of straight allies.

Sophomore English major, Melissa Dullaghan enjoyed the show so much, she was already thinking of ways for her and her daughter to help volunteer at the event next year. “I loved it, it was so much fun,” Dullaghan exclaimed.

Georgia Southern University’s Gay Straight Alliance executive board as well as the Vice President of Savannah College of Art and Design’s board came to support.

Audience members fearlessly approached the stage to tip performers with money throughout all of the performances. By the end of the night over $100 had been raised to be donated to The Trevor Project.