Battle of injections

By Tyrone Townsend, Staff Writer

Last May, the legal battle between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao ended with Mayweather as the victor. This week, officials of the World Boxing Championship wrapped up an ongoing investigation, concluding that the decision should have been thrown out.

It was revealed that Mayweather illegally received an injection that assisted him in recovering from an injury. Employees of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, who arrived to administer a drug test after the weigh-in, discovered evidence of where an IV had been administered.

According to Mayweather’s medical team, he received the IV to combat dehydration. The team claims they did not realize IV’s were banned, though IVs are illegal because they can be used to mask illegal substances.

Drug testing guidelines presented a major obstacle for the highly anticipated brawl between Mayweather and Pacquiao. The two fighters’ camps spent the better part of a decade negotiating the terms of the potential bout.

Double standards were even called into question as Pacquiao was criticized for desiring similar medication to assist with a known injury. It appeared to some that Mayweather could have dealt with dehydration in a more natural way, while Pacquiao was not permitted to receive an IV for a legitimate injury.

When the time comes for the next “Fight of the Century,” perhaps officials will be better equipped to ensure adequate understanding of fight regulations.