Running The Show
March 28, 2024
Women's History Month
March 28, 2024
Pretty and Polished
Pretty and Polished
March 27, 2024

Former Armstrong student launches new music venue project

Lucy Stone, Staff Writer

A former Armstrong student launched the New Savannah Venue Project this month with the hopes of securing a venue for the local music scene to thrive.

Adam Wilson, the creator of the project and a veteran of the local music scene held the project’s first meeting Sunday, Sept. 12. The majority of currently available venues are bars—many of which do not permit entrance to those under 21. A location available for the youth could mean more access to local artists and new music.

In the past decade, Wilson has been a member of four bands, including Two Years Too Long, Nine Lives, and Falling In. Wilson also grew up as a member of the DIY (do-it-yourself) underground music scene in Savannah. He says the experience helped him create this project as a response to the difficulties of keeping a music venue open to all ages.

Wilson explains, “Because of the lack of ‘real’ music venues that don’t require you to be 21, the people who thrive on punk rock mentality and real, passionate music have been setting up shows wherever possible.”

Of Savannah, he adds that it is “a community of people who do what needs to be done in order to the see  live music worth seeing.” While struggling to find a venue, bands often rely on people to reach out and provide them with an area to play.

“Our house show scene in Savannah has always been pretty strong because of all of these creative minds willing to host shows that anyone still holding onto youth wants to see,” Wilson said.

Other key locations in this music scene have included Graveface Records, a former all-ages venue that is currently unable to host shows, as well as the Wormhole and Hangfire, both of which are bars that have supported punk rock and indie bands.   

Many new ideas and plans are expected to flourish in the coming weeks following the project’s first meeting. While Wilson has booked shows for the Bomb Shelter in the past, no venue has consistently remained open and available. Wilson has teamed up with Bomb Shelter booking agent, Danielle Leonard, along with investors and others interested in establishing a venue for everyone to enjoy.

Ultimately, Wilson wants to “break down some of the barriers dividing people who could all have something beautiful… if we can get everyone working toward a common goal.”

Wilson’s booking email is keepitmovingbook@gmail.com. Students interested in the Savannah DIY music scene and the New Savannah Venue Project can keep up with current events and progress via their Facebook pages.