Phiota Greek Night returns for year 7

By Abra Reed, Staff Writer

The Phi Iota Alpha fraternity on campus, commonly known as “Phiota”, will host their seventh annual Greek night Oct. 8. The talent show, which has raised money for a scholarship given to Armstrong students in the past, will give all proceeds from ticket sales to UNICEF.

The Phiota Greek Night will take place at 8.30 p.m. Oct. 8 in the Fine Arts Auditorium. Prices are currently $3 for Greek members and $4 for non-Greek members.

Miguel Rodriguez, a member of Phi Iota Alpha and the director of the event said, “We have hosted it since the first year we became a colony at Armstrong back in 2008.”

Although only Greek organizations perform talents, many non-greek members attend the show for great entertainment, friendly competition and to support the performers. The talent show has also recently become an easy way to learn more about the Greek organizations at Armstrong.

Greek Night has made over five hundred dollars every year through attendance alone and has raised over $3,000 in scholarships for Phiota National Philanthropy UNICEF.

Last year Phi Mu came in close second to Kappa Sigma solo performer, Gabriel Amadi-Emina. This year’s competition will be heavy. There are already four organizations signed up for the competition and Rodriguez plans to have many more.

Amadi-Emina, whose dance performance stole the show last year, says “It is one of the few events on campus that has an effect on Greek life as a whole.”

In the past, the talents performed have predominantly been dancing; however, the past two years have seen an increase in acting and singing. This year’s acts will be judged for originality among other criteria by a panel.

To see which organization will take home the trophy this year, be sure to show up early for tickets before the show sells out.