Pirate Fest to be ‘swashbuckling’ fun

By Whitney Ziemak, Staff Writer

Looking for a unique way to spend the Columbus Day weekend? Tybee Island’s 11th annual Pirate Festival will return Oct. 8–11.

The event kicks off Thursday, Oct. 8 with the Buccaneer Ball held at the Crab Shack. Friday from 5-11 p.m., the festival will feature performers Whatever Bar DJ, Voodoo Soup, headliner Big Engine, and Savannah-natives Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love. A Pirate Invasion opening ceremony will begin at 7 p.m.

Armstrong Pirates should feel particularly at home at this event. Friday passes for the festival are $12 and Saturday passes are $15 for the day.

All events are family-friendly, though $5 wristbands will be issued to adults 21 and up walking the beach, pier, and a specific Tybee Island district outside of the festival. Festival grounds extend the through the South Beach Parking Lot (Tybrisa to 18th Street).

Saturday’s events will begin at 10 a.m. and last into the night. At 1 p.m. there will be a Children and Pets costume contest, followed by the Rogues, Wenches, and Krewes costume contest at 6 p.m.

The Pirate Victory Parade will take place at 3 p.m. and is a sight attendees will not want to miss. Saturdays headline act features Junior Marvins Wailers, who have performed alongside Stevie Wonder and Bob Marley and the Wailers. Also appearing on Saturday is  MiniKiss, a high-energy rock band composed of dwarfs covering Kiss.

Sunday will provide more music from 12-4 p.m. Noon marks the Bud Light Beach Sweep for volunteers willing to help clean the beach after the weekends festivities; all volunteers will receive a free T-shirt for their help.

A full list of events can be found at http://tybeeisland.com/pirates