Falcons soar off to hot start

By Tyrone Townsend, Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons are certainly confident this season. The team is off to an undefeated 5-0 start. They are reminiscent of the 2012 Falcons that began at 4-0 and finished with a NFC South division championship and were a fourth and goal away from the Super Bowl.

After going 10-22 in the past two seasons and missing the playoffs, a sense of humility should be evident. Yet, first-year coach Dan Quinn has instilled a fiery energy and enthusiasm that has the team believing it can defeat any opponent.

The dominant 48-21 win against the Houston Texans showed the rest of the league this team is  to be taken seriously. The offensive balance Quinn and the staff sought to begin the season has been achieved.

When star wide receiver Julio Jones catches only four passes for 38 yards without a touchdown and the offense still puts up 35 points, many would believe that the right moves are in effect. The offense has also found a successful ground game this season in second-year running back Devonta Freeman.

Most of the concerns entering the season were about the defense. So far, however, the physicality Quinn has harbored on seems to be working.

This team may not go undefeated this year, but it is very apparent that this team is playing like one of the best in the NFL. The Falcons continue to show that they are hungry for a championship and this just might be the right year for them.