Ampersand hosts spooky classic

Ampersand hosts spooky classic

By Harrison Roux, Staff Writer

The Savannah Stage Company performed its adaptation of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” at Ampersand Thursday, Oct. 15. This was one of the several performances of the play which will take place in the weeks leading to Halloween. Their final performance will occur Oct. 31.

Artistic Director of Savannah Stage Co., Jayme Tinti, said, “In planning our season we knew we’d have a show in October, and I said ‘well, what better for Savannah than The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.’”

This adaptation of the classic Washington Irving story was created by Catherine Bush and provides a refreshing take on the original.  

“The first play that we ever did, we wrote and adapted ‘Rip Van Winkle.’  So I’ve always had a Washington Irving spot,” Tinti explained.

The stage for this play, located on the third floor of Ampersand, places the audience in a circle surrounding the stage.  This proximity to the action forces the audience feel involved and makes the play’s spooky theme seem all the more visceral.  While the six actors play multiple roles throughout the play, their enthusiasm and talent create the impression of separate and memorable characters interacting with each other.

The Savannah Stage Company has maintained its mission to serving the community by providing live professional theatre since its founding in July 2012.  They achieve this by requesting that attendees simply “pay what they can” if they wish to see a performance.  This reflects the Company’s mission to focus on “Accessibility, Imagination and Bravery.”

For those with a deeper interest in community theatre, Savannah Stage Company will offer auditions during the first week of December.

“With our company, skill is not the leading force in why someone is hired.  I’m more interested in someone who is a learner.  I’m more interested in someone who can work well with other people.  I’m more interested in someone who’s really imaginative,” said Tinti.  

With Halloween approaching, this fitting performance provides a great entertainment option for getting into the spirit of fall.  “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” will be performed  Oct. 23, 24, 30 and 31, beginning at 8 p.m.