Running The Show
March 28, 2024
Women's History Month
March 28, 2024
Pretty and Polished
Pretty and Polished
March 27, 2024

Campus reacts to unusual cold weather

By Zach Logan, News Editor

On Monday, Oct. 19, the morning temperature in Savannah dropped into the mid 40s, an unusual low for this time of year. Armstrong meteorology professor and WSAV News 3 meteorologist Lee Haywood noted that the normal low for mid-October is somewhere around 56 degrees.

What caused the colder weather?

“Creating the colder snap was a cold front which passed through the area Friday night allowing a cold area of Canadian high pressure to build [off] the southeast states this past weekend,” Haywood explained.

Nationally, much of the U.S. also saw colder temperatures. Parts of the northeast experienced temperatures in the upper 20s, while some states even saw a few inches of snow.  Frost advisories were in effect for parts of north Georgia as well.

Back at Armstrong, the Inkwell spoke to students who said they welcomed the colder weather. Business economics student Erin Foster said the cooler temperatures offered a nice break from the usual Georgia heat. “I love when the weather cools down, mainly because this is my favorite time of year,” she said.  

Business economics student Collin Owen, a native of Blue Ridge, Georgia, also enjoyed the cold snap. Owen said, “[The] weather feels amazing, it’s beautiful outside and this is exactly how fall should feel.”

The campus seemed mostly unaffected by the unusual temperatures. According to the director of facility services, Kathryn Twining, as far as facilities are involved, not many changes occur during the colder seasons. “In cooler weather, we usually increase the water temperature to a range of 160-180 [degrees] to help warm the buildings faster,” she noted.

The cooler weather also did not affect the athletic department. Athletic director Lisa Sweany said that none of the games or practices were affected by the lower temperatures. Sweany explained, “Typically, the only reason we would move practices or game times is due to inclement weather which includes lightening or the potential for lightning.”

Nursing major Donald Shelton runs on Armstrong’s cross-country team. He said, “It was pretty chilly so I put on a little more clothes. But with running, once we get going we stay warm most of the time.”

The cold snap did not last long. On Tuesday temperature lows returned to the upper 50s and lower 60s, the usual for this time of year. Haywood mentioned that Savannah’s coldest months are December, January and February. “Don’t look for it to become too cold until then. We certainly will have chilly snaps before then, but they shouldn’t last very long,” Haywood said.