Armstrong prepares for flu season

By Paige Phillips, Staff Writer 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says Georgia is currently seeing the most flu activity in the country. A map from the CDC depicts Georgia in the “low” range, however it is above the “minimal” ranking that most of the country is placed in.

This map is based on the number of people who go to the doctor with flu-like symptoms. Another recent map from the CDC shows that Georgia saw “sporadic” flu activity for the week ending Oct. 10, which is the most recent week available.

According to Tammy Medlin, a family nurse practitioner at Armstrong’s Student Health Center (SHC), no students have been diagnosed with the flu so far this semester. It is important for students to take extra precautions given this information from the CDC.

According to the CDC, Influenza is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. Some tips provided by the CDC to avoid the flu include: avoiding close contact with others, staying home when sick, covering your mouth and nose, cleaning your hands and avoiding touching eyes, noses and mouths.  

The best way to prevent the flu is to get vaccinated each year. While Armstrong’s SHC only serves registered students, they do offer flu vaccinations for students, staff, and faculty.

The Student Health Center charges a co-pay, which the student is responsible for at the time of services.

Medlin says, “It’s going to depend on the visit, if it’s just a regular visit for a physical or sick visit it is $10 for the office visit.”

Most labs are included in that price. Medlin also mentioned, “If a student thinks they may have [the flu] they will pay $10 for the office visit and the flu swab will be an extra $25.”

Students can pay with cash, Pirate Cash, checks, debit or credit cards. The SHC can also give students receipts so that they are able to submit the charges to their insurance company and be reimbursed directly by their insurance provider.

Students can visit the SHC for outpatient medical care, minor illnesses and a variety of immunizations.  

They also offer HIV and STD testing and full-range laboratory service. Students can receive their annual physical exams, full women’s health services, and referral service to area specialists, urgent care facilities, and all Savannah hospitals.

The SHC is located in the Student Affairs Annex in the 7000 building of Compass Point. The SHC is open Monday through Friday with appointments starting at 9 a.m. and ending at 4 p.m.

Students can schedule appointments around their class schedule and can be provided with a sick note for work or class. For more information, call the SHC at 912.961.5726.