Renowned French singer visiting Armstrong

Megan McGinnis, Staff Writer

vince

On Nov. 5, acclaimed French singer, guitarist and songwriter Eric Vincent will perform a concert in the Fine Arts Auditorium. Vincent is also renowned for his performances across the globe that aim to spread and promote French culture.

Dr. Dorothee Mertz-Weigel and the Armstrong French Club organized the concert under a premise very similar to Eric Vincent’s. They believe the concert is an opportunity for students to experience a different culture firsthand, something difficult to do without boarding a plane.

“French is the second most leading language in the world,” says Randee May, French club vice president. “I personally think that it would benefit students to come out in order to get a true understanding of French culture and expand their knowledge. There’s a difference between seeing something on TV or in movies and getting a real, live experience.”

Not just French students are excited for the concert. Tori Dixon, an Economics major, says “This sounds like a great opportunity to be exposed to French culture in an active way, rather than just reading about it or listening to a CD,”

The concert also acts as a chance to promote Armstrong’s new e-major in French, and it allows Armstrong’s French Club to reach out other university organizations such as Mercer’s French Club.

“The French Club has grown a lot this semester and we’re doing a lot more this year as we try to spread French culture,” says Randee May. “We just want everyone to come out and have a good time.”

The main concert will take place in Armstrong’s Fine Arts Auditorium and is free and open to the public. A private, interactive concert for Armstrong students studying French, as well as students from surrounding Chatham county schools will take place Friday, Nov. 6, at 10 a.m.