International Week kicks off with ‘Taste of the World’

By T’Keyah Dennis, Staff Writer

Despite the rain, members of the International Student Organization (ISO) came together to present their annual cultural experience, Taste of the World.

Free food, a variety of cultural performances and colorful tri-fold boards were on display for students and staff members to enjoy. The different countries represented through Armstrong’s ISO also had their flags flying.

Students representing Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Germany and the Philippines, to name a few countries, shared foods from their native lands. The guest country for this year’s celebration, China, treated attendees and passersby to native dances, songs and Tai Chi.

Volunteers Lavanyah and Jasmine, master in Public Health students, were thrilled to have the opportunity to share a piece of their heritage with other students. As her first time doing an event with ISO, Lavanyah felt welcomed by the members and the International Office staff when she first arrived at Armstrong.

“When they asked me to share my culture and heritage, I felt more than happy to share with them about what I am and from, you know my where about. So this is more encouraging to share about my culture and where I come from.”

The members of ISO are eager to point out that their involvement with the has helped them connect more to American students and events such as Taste of the World is just one way they can remain connected to their cultures and with the students at Armstrong.

Members of ISO welcome students to their weekly meetings held on Wednesdays at 12 noon in University Hall 102 to learn more about the mixture of cultures on campus. Students can also stay connected with ISO through their social media pages for updates about International Week.