Opinion: Rushing into College? Go Greek!

Opinion piece

Dustin Stewart

I will have to admit, I was hesitant at first. The thought had always crossed my mind but I never could make myself act on the urge. Finally, I decided to plunge in head first and give it a go, and I have not regretted it since. Greek life is a beast in its own wilderness. College life, and adjusting to it, can be tough, especially for freshman. Where do I go? Who do I talk to? What is there to do? These questions can all be answered in one phrase: Go Greek!

Greek life, despite the generally false stigmas and stereotypes, presents a world of opportunity that most people do not realize. Leadership opportunities, socialization, networking, bonding, and even life-long friendships only begin to scrape the iceberg of possibilities. I have met a large population of Armstrong’s campus by going Greek, as well as benefited from the numerous advantages listed above.

The support system you find in these organizations is almost unmatched. I will say that it has not all been sunshine and rainbows, but even the more difficult times have allowed me to grow not only as an individual, but as a member of a larger organization with a common purpose. Each group represents certain values and takes for itself certain emblems and creeds by which we commit ourselves to live and function as organization members and citizens in general.

For anyone who has an interest in Greek life, or even a distaste for it, I would highly encourage you to talk to someone involved in Greek Life. We are not “brainwashed” drones like some like to assert, and we mostly are also involved and have lives outside of our respective fraternities and sororities. Most importantly, when Rush weeks come around, come out and see what Armstrong has to offer! You may be surprised what you find.