The Florence hosts free Sunday Rooftop Reels

florence
(Via Facebook: The Florence)

Rachel Little, Staff Writer

Located on West Victory Street, The Florence has begun to creep a little out of their element with their recent event series that they’ve dubbed “Rooftop Reels.” Every Sunday at 5 and 7:30 p.m., patrons can head upstairs to the restaurant’s rooftop-dining are and bar for the chance to enjoy pizza, drinks and family friendly movie entertainment.

Feb. 7 had patrons filling the chairs, couches and bar stools to catch the initial screening of Hayao Miyazaki’s “My Neighbor Totoro. Young couples sipped on craft beers, while families circled around large gourmet pizzas as they engrossed themselves in the story of two sisters who move to rural Japan to be near their ailing mother and end up befriending the wondrous forest spirits who live nearby.

While some families called it a night after the film, many stuck around for the 7:30 p.m. showing of The Coen Brothers Films featuring “The Big Lebowski.” In this not-so-kid-friendly comedy Jeff Bridges plays Jeff “the Dude” Lebowski: a laid-back, easygoing burnout who happens to have the same name as a millionaire.

The Florence is an Italian restaurant that uses southern-grown ingredients, harvested locally whenever possible. Inspired by the Italian city of Florence as well as the famous Savannah statue of a local legend named Florence Martus, The Florence blends rich Italian influence with local southern hospitality.

Their full menu includes pizza, pasta and local seafood. Sit at the bar to enjoy wine, beer and specialty made cocktails. Either way, be sure to save some room for some southern sweet potato cake, Carolina apple pie or an assortment of Italian favorite gelato flight.

Rooftop Reels are a perfect excuse to get out of the house and experience the downtown Savannah area in an intimate and cultivated setting. The Florence is ideal for all crowds and occasions. Whether family or date night, nothing beats a delectable dinner and free movie.