Pirate baseball ends PBC play with three-game loss

Kylie Fields
Senior Cody Sherlin attempts to tag out a sliding Columbus State Cougar in the loss over the weekend. The Pirates went the entire season only winning on series in Peach Belt play. – Saturday, April 23 (Armstrong Communications)
baseball cody sherlin

John Keen, Staff Writer

Armstrong State’s baseball team ended their Peach Belt Conference schedule against the number 19 Columbus State Cougars this past weekend. The Pirates concluded conference play with a three-game series loss to the Cougars.

Despite the Pirates’ tough season, senior catcher Jerad Curry has taken away some positives:

“[This season] showed me how to handle adversity, which is a life lesson I will carry with myself in my career,” Curry said.

Holding a slim 6-5 in the bottom of the eighth inning of game one Saturday, April 23, Armstrong gave up three runs to the Cougars. Their rivals held on to win by a final score of 8-6.

Armstrong’s Corey Kafka worked seven innings, giving up five runs on eight hits, walking one while striking out two.  Caleb Woods (2-2) took the loss, pitching 1/3rd inning giving up zero hits and two runs while walking two and striking out one

Senior Kendrick Thompson went 3-4 for the Pirates with an RBI. Junior Spencer Harvey and seniors Curry and Cody Sherlin had two hits apiece, while fellow senior J.T. Phillips added a solo homerun.

The Pirates did not fare any better in the doubleheader Sunday, April 24, losing the first game to the Cougars in an 11-2 blowout, which saw four Cougars record multiple hits.

Phillips took the loss working 1 1/3 innings, giving up four runs on four hits, walking none and striking out one.  Sophomore Chandler Corley went 2-4 with an RBI double, Curry also added an RBI single.

The Pirates fell in the series finale and game two of the double-header, to the Cougars 13-8.

Armstrong fell behind quickly 4-0 after the first inning. With RBIs from Matt Nettles, Blake Edwards, and Justin Evans, Chris Daniel was also able to score on a wild pitch.

Armstrong answered with three runs of their own in the second. Senior Berry Aldrige homered to left center, while Sherlin and Corley added RBI singles.

Columbus State’s offense proved to be too much for the Pirates in the end as they were able to score in every inning they batted except the Third, eventually tallying 13 runs by the ninth. While the Pirates were able to score the most runs in the three games series, it was not enough as they fell 13-8.

Armstrong’s rough season has not created any divisiveness, however.

“Our greatest strength is team chemistry. Everybody on the team gets along,” Thompson said following the rough loss.

The Pirates fell to 15-29 and 6-24 in the PBC. They wrap up their home slate with a doubleheader against Trinity Baptist Saturday, April 30 and then a three-game series against Belmont Abbey beginning Friday, May 6.