Southern Indiana’s Kim Dean hired as softball coach

kimdeanCaleb Bailey, Sports editor

Following the 2016 season, Armstrong parted sudden ways with softball coach Ted Evans after 12 seasons with the team. The team announced on Aug. 4 that they had found their next head coach in Southern Indiana, assistant coach Kim Dean.

Dean spent seven seasons with the Screaming Eagles, helping lead the team to an overall 193-146 record and the NCAA Championships three out of the last four years. She is now the third softball coach in team history. Dean is excited about the history of success in Savannah and what the future holds.

“The previous success of the softball program,” Dean said, is what made her decision to take the job with the Pirates. “The university is an elite state school and provides all of the top majors. The location is second to none. The administration and other coaching staffs are top notch and provide you with the resources and support necessary to win.”

Dean replaces Evans, who finished his career with the Pirates with a record of 413-213-1 with 10 NCAA Championships appearance, three NCAA Southeast Regional championships and three NCAA DII Softball World Series appearances.

The Pirates finished the 2016 season 43-15 and an appearance in the World Series, just a year after missing it in 2015. They fell to Humboldt State in the semifinals, just missing making the national championship series, but Dean is not allowing that to put extra pressure on her.

“The proven track record of the softball program was one of the main reasons I was drawn to Armstrong, therefore it is not pressure, but excitement I feel about this upcoming season,” she explained. “The possibilities are endless and I look forward to pressuring greatness with this group of young ladies.”

Dean certainly seems excited for her future with the Pirates and is thankful for her history with Southern Indiana. She talked about how it has prepared her to take the next step in her coaching career.

“I was fortunate to have an outstanding head coach who allowed me to expand my scope of responsibilities within the program and community,” Dean said. “I was involved in all aspects of our program and was able to grow not only as a coach, but a person under her leadership. My time at Southern Indiana was rewarding and monumental in getting me to where I am now.”

The Pirates are set to have a great season come January and it certainly seems they have a great young leader on their side.