September honors Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

Lucy Stone, News Editor

September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Along with other colleges in the state, Armstrong is promoting “Move to Zero Suicides,” a campaign that believes all suicides are preventable. According to the CDC, suicides have continued to be the second leading cause of death in people ages 18 to 24. Treating suicides as the public health problem that they are can only aid in extinguishing the taboo once and for all.

Starting this week, Armstrong is hosting several events to encourage suicide discussion and awareness. On Thursday, Sept. 8, the documentary “The Bridge” will screen, which describes the infamous history of the Golden Gate Bridge as a well-known jumping location. A panel discussion will follow the screening.

On Sept. 13 and 14, “Question, Persuade, Refer” (QPR) Training classes are provided to prepare students, faculty or staff for appropriate ways to intervene in a suicide. Upon completing the classes, participants receive certification as an official gatekeeper of preventing suicide. Anyone can become a gatekeeper, learn to recognize the warning signs of suicide and know when and how to get help.

On Sept. 17, an Out of the Darkness Walk will be held at Lake Mayer Community Park. All funds will go toward the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

To contact the Counseling Center at Armstrong, visit their office at Compass Point or call 912-344-2529. If you need someone to talk to at any time, a certified counselor from The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is always available at 1-800-273-8255. You are not alone.