Safety concerns addressed at town hall meeting

Leah Croft, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Oct. 25, the Armstrong Campus Safety Committee hosted the Campus Safety Town Hall Meeting, which focused on policies and procedures, recent safety improvements and current safety projects.

A panel of three that included Dean of Students Andrew Dies, Director of Facility Services Katie Twining and Armstrong Police Chief Wayne Willcox were invited to connect with the audience through a Q&A discussion setting. Students and staff could also text their questions.

The panel addressed questions about traffic regulations, welcoming spaces and how students can become more involved in their own protection.

Recent safety improvements have included a hurricane plan update, new technology behind the Armstrong Blast communication and the installation of new LED lights.

The Campus Safety Committee meets regularly to conduct “table top” exercises simulating mock emergencies and the appropriate responses.

As far as students’ safety is concerned, Twining said, “Students are the number one users of campus and their voices and opinions have led to a lot of positive changes.”

One of these changes includes the Pirate Guardian app, which is an interactive experience designed for mobile phones. The app includes features such as a panic button with immediate connection to campus police and listing Armstrong police and phone contacts like friends and family as “personal guardians.” Search “Rave Guardian” in the Apple or Google Play app store to download the app.

Other current safety projects include the possible installation of a siren/loudspeaker warning system, improving campus signage like the University Crossings sign which was knocked down recently and upgrades to radios and other emergency equipment.