Shaving Heads and Saving Lives: Kappa Sigma continues tradition

Ali Wells, Staff Writer

_MG_0133.JPG
Matthew Schmidt receives a haircut as part of the ‘Shave 2 Save’ event – Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016 (Tenner Levi)

The Omicron Iota Chapter of Kappa Sigma at Armstrong held its eigth annual “Shave 2 Save” event Wednesday, Oct. 26, in front of the Student Union.

Traditionally, brothers who plan to shave their heads dye their hair pink at the beginning of October to promote breast cancer awareness. Each brother sets a goal of money to raise. If that goal is reached, a brother will have to shave his head.

Kappa Sigma obtained this year’s donations from numerous businesses and donors including River and Glen, Byrd Cookie Company, Lowcountry Gourmet Foods, J Parker Itd., Brighter Day Natural Foods Market, Marche de Macaroons, Colorboxx Salon, All Things Georgia, Urbest Salon and Party City.

This year’s donations will go to St. Joseph’s Candler Foundation, Mary Telfair Women’s Hospital.

“We’re raising money for the Mammography Fund,” Omicron Iota philanthropy chair Joshua Downs said. “It provides mammograms for women who are underinsured and uninsured in the local Savannah area. We felt like the money staying here in Savannah would be the best option.”

Downs anticipated raising as much as $2,500 for the Mammography Fund this year.

Omicron Iota has raised $22,000 dollars since they started Shave 2 Save 8 years ago. A big part of this success also comes from the support, both morally and financially, from fellow Greek Life members attending the Shave 2 Save tent to either donate or buy raffle tickets.

Phi Mu member Paloma Whatley attended Shave 2 Save to support some of her friends.

“My favorite part of Shave 2 Save is getting together with various students at the event and having fun while also supporting a really good cause,” Whatley said. “I contributed a dollar to one of their raffles that donates money to women who can’t afford to be insured to get a mammogram and posted the event on my social media to get the word out to other students that may want to attend.”

“I think it is a good way to raise money for a good cause, while bringing awareness to students on campus. I do really think it makes a difference because it attracts many students to the event and the more people that become aware of the cause, the more they can contribute and help out.”

Join the Omicron Iota Chapter of Kappa Sigma next semester for other fundraisers and events for the Military Heroes Fund.