Students Relax at Stress Free Day

Bree McDonald, Staff Writer

screen-shot-2016-12-01-at-10-10-31-am
Kush Joshi and Courtney Hanes sit at a table and color during Stress-Free Day. Bree McDonald. Nov. 29, 2016. 

The Ballroom was full of students chattering over puppies, adult coloring pages and games spread across the tables Tuesday, Nov. 29.  Armstrongs Fitness and Wellness Center hosted Stress Free Day, an event put hosted each semester before finals. The team provided free pizza to attending students and even invited outside schools to promote relaxation and lowered stress before finals take over.

Therapy dogs were on the scene to help relieve students from stress. Massage Therapy students from Virginia College were also on site providing students with back massages and facials.

Leigh Fout, Armstrongs Fitness and Wellness coordinator, organized the event for the first time this semester.

I think this is one of the best turnouts weve had. My favorite thing about Stress Free Day is seeing all of the students happy. With so much going on, its nice to see students taking care of themselves,Fout explained.

There were tables for students to get manicures, facials and their hair styled by students from Empire Beauty School. Junior History major Kennedy Davis enjoyed having her hair straightened by the Beauty School students. With dreams of one day becoming a History professor, a stress-free day was just what she needed.

Empire Beauty School student Rebeccah Austin loves the idea of Stress Free Day.

I love how its giving back to the students. Its a great way for us to network with other students, de-stress and relax.

Junior Psychology major Kush Joshi occupied time waiting for a massage by coloring. Being a psychology major, Joshi knows how important it is to relax the mind when finals are around the corner.

Its a good time to unwind and enjoy free pizza,he added.

Junior Secondary Education major Courtney Hanes also enjoyed the coloring pages while waiting for a manicure and pizza.

In addition to the stress-free events in the Student Union Ballroom, a yoga class was also held on the balcony, providing students maximum relaxation and peace. With the unseasonably nice weather, students had the ultimate opportunity to practice breathing exercises and release tensions from their bodies before finals.

Stress Free Days are held around final exam week toward the end of every semester. Contact Leigh.Fout@armstrong.edu for more information on the Stress Free Day coming in Spring 2017.