Collegiate 100 Hosts Barbecue Cookout Party

Charity Williams, Staff Writer

On August 24, Armstrong students gathered together in front of the Student Union, also known as the Residential Plaza, for a barbecue cookout party. Thursday’s event kept students entertained with free food and music.

The cookout began at 7 p.m. and lasted well into the night. It was hosted by Armstrong’s Collegiate 100, an Armstrong organization that has been honored nationally in the past.

The smell of smoke fogged the air as the hosts of the evening set up the grill and brought out tables. Some of the hosts even helped the DJ prepare for the evening. As soon as the music began to blast from the DJ’s speakers, the event began.

Rodriequez Carter, a freshman Chemistry major, came to show his support for the Collegiate 100 event. Carter is a new member for Men of Vision and Excellence (MOVE) one of Armstrong’s many student programs.

“I’m with MOVE and I’m here to show my support for another organization,” Carter said. He encourages other students to come out and connect with each other. “We get the opportunity to branch out. It is not about being isolated but unified,” he concluded.

Besides free food and music, there was an abundance of students that gathered in front of the Student Union for the event. What started off as a handful of students quickly increased as time went on, providing many opportunities to meet new people.

Fraternities like Omega Psi Phi and sororities like Zeta Phi Beta were present during the event as well as members from various student organizations around campus. Freshman students mingled and formed new friendships.

“Collegiate 100 held the party to give students a chance to wind down, get some free food and have some fun,” Justin Cosby, a sophomore majoring in Early Childhood Education and a Collegiate 100 member, explained.  

Armstrong holds events like the barbecue to connect its students and to integrate their many cultures and backgrounds.  

“In my personal opinion, it’s about having a good time, no matter the race, everybody is having a good time” Cosby added..

With the variety of activities on campus, there are dozens of opportunities to relax after classes. For more information on future events, be sure to check your student email regularly and check out Armstrong’s event calendar on the university homepage.