Campus Corkboard August 15-22

Welcome back students! Here is a list of upcoming events on the Armstrong Campus and around Savannah!

Wednesday, August 15

Event: Serve 912 kickoff

Time: 10am-2pm

Place: Student Union Plaza

This event will introduce students to opportunities to engage in the local community through service. Students will learn about ways to volunteer at Georgia Southern and in the community while having fun, playing games, and collecting giveaways.

Event: Folio Scavenger Hunt

Time: 12-1pm

Place: Solms Hall 204

Students are invited to participate in a tour of the the Folio Learning Management System. Get a demo of the Folio system, learn tips and tricks for personalizing and managing your own Folio environment, and, if you’ve completed the Folio Scavenger Hunt prior to the event, you might just win a door prize!

Thursday, August 16

Event: Ice Cream with the Dean

Time: 10am-2pm

Place: Outside the Student Union

Come enjoy some ice cream with the Dean

Event: Piano in the Arts

Time: 7:30pm

Place: Fine Arts Auditorium

This concert includes members from the newly formed Savannah-based group, The Blue Heron Chamber Ensemble, featuring Flutist Jeana Melilli, Oboist Andrew Jay Ripley and Michael Daly on French Horn — all Principals with the Savannah Philharmonic Orchestra. They will be joined by Benjamin Warsaw on piano and will perform a selection of chamber music for piano and wind instruments.

Friday, August 17

Event: Eagle Beach Bash

Time: 4p.m.-7p.m.

Place: Tybee Island, GA

Join us for some back to school fun on Tybee Island with free food, giveaways and music! Need a ride? Email us at: upb@georgiasouthern.edu. Students, please bring your Eagle IDs!

Saturday, August 18

Event: Meet the Greeks

Time: 1p.m.-4p.m.

Place: Windward Commons

Greek chapters will table and promote their organizations to students.

Event: Housing Block Party

Time: 2p.m.-4p.m.

Place: Residence Halls

Event: Karaoke Bingo or Outdoor Movie

Time: 7p.m.-10p.m.

Place: Residence Halls

Tuesday, August 21

Event: Free HIV Testing

Time: 10a.m.-1p.m.

Place: University Hall

1 in 8 people infected with HIV don’t know they have it. Get tested for free at this clinic sponsored by Health Services, the Department of Public Health and the Gay Straight Alliance.

Event: Course Prep and Demo

Time: 9am-10am

Place: Solms Hall, 204

Join us for a course preparation training session and Folio demonstration. Faculty will have an opportunity to review the steps needed to prepare for Fall 2018 courses in Folio and receive a short demonstration of the new Daylight interface for Folio.

Event: WebEx Basics

Time: 10am-11:30am

Place: University Hall, 114

Introductory course examining the principles and basics of WebEx Meeting Center. The course will cover the basics of scheduling, hosting, joining, sharing resources, recording, and distributing meeting recordings. In addition, the course will include training with regard to being a participant in a WebEx meeting. This is a hands-on course.

Event: Banner 9 Training

Time: 10:30am-12pm

Place: Solms Hall, 204

Join the IT Services team as instructor Jessica Weaver reviews the basics of how to navigate the Banner 9 interface. Training includes hands-on practice.

Wednesday, August 22

Event: Movie: Avengers Infinity War

Time: 7p.m.-10p.m.

Place: Ogechee Theater

Free movie for students and community members.