Georgia Southern Starts Season With Win, Faces UMass Saturday

By: Ethan Smith, News Editor

es15173@georgiasouthern.edu

The Chad Lunsford era of Georgia Southern football got off to a great start last Saturday. The Eagles took on South Carolina State in the season opener, handling the Bulldogs 37-6 in Paulson Stadium.

Sophomore QB Shai Werts had an amazing start to the season, notching three rushing touchdowns on 163 yards rushing to lead the Eagles offensive attack. Senior RB Wesley Fields and senior RB Monteo Garrett added rushing touchdowns as well. The Eagles offense ran for 319 yards while adding another 29 yards through the air.

The defense of Georgia Southern was what surprised most who watched the contest. South Carolina State was basically running into a brick wall on offense as the front seven from Georgia Southern continuously shut down everything the Bulldogs tried to do. The Eagles held SCSU to 151 total yards and six points, a definite upgrade from how the defense performed last season. Junior LB Tomarcio Reese won Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Week honors for his performance, tallying 10 tackles and contributing to a sack.

The Eagles started off the season in style, but the focus will move to facing the UMass Minutemen on Saturday. The Eagles will be looking for revenge after UMass handled GSU last season 55-20 in Amherst. The game will be held at Paulson Stadium at 6:00pm with the Eagles looking to get their second win of the season in front of the home crowd.