13 Hours of Blood and Gore at The Lucas

Photo by: Tasha Lund
Photo by: Tasha Lund

By: Laura Weyman, Travel Editor

travel.inkwell@gmail.com

Everyone’s favorite season has officially arrived! It’s Fall!

And, yes, while that does mean that we will be plagued with pumpkin flavored everything, and turning leaves (well, not quite turning in Savannah), it also means, more importantly, that Halloween is just around the corner!

Since in America we have a knack of celebrating holidays months too early, what better way to prepare for the celebration of Halloween than by enjoying an entire day of cult classic horror films?

Graveface Records and the Psychotronic Film Society of Savannah are joining forces this year to kick off this Halloween season with a 13-hour marathon of classic horror films that will include six fully restored versions of fan-favorite feature films from the 1960s through the 1990s.

The showing will take place on Saturday, Sept 29 and will start at 11:00 am. It will be shown inside Savannah’s oldest theatre, the Lucas Theatre for the Arts, located on Abercorn and Broughton.

Only three out of the six film titles have been announced so far, but the rest will be revealed soon.

For now, you can expect to see HG Lewis’ splatter flick “2000 Maniacs”, Fred Dekker’s retro sci-fi zombie thriller “Night of the Creeps”, and Jeff Burr’s 1990 slasher film “Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III”.

Jeff Burr himself will be there to answer a Q&A after the showing of his film, so be sure not to miss this if you plan on attending!

There will also be a vendors area with horror-themed merchandise and collectibles for sale, a Fake Movie Trailer contest, raffles for valuable prizes before each film and an All-Day and All-Night After party at nearby dive bar Pinkie Master’s and at the gourmet sandwich shop The Diplomat. Discounts on food and drinks will apply to anyone with a Fright Fest Pass.

To top off this gory Saturday, Graveface Records label artists, Marshmallow Ghosts, will play a live musical performance.

Tickets are $20 if you pay in advance or will be $25 if you pay at the door. You can purchase them at tickets.savannahboxoffice.com or buy VIP tickets at www.terror-vision.com.