Masquers Presents “God of Carnage” This Thursday

By: Gabriel Williams, Staff Writer

Get ready for exciting comedy-packed action. The play “God of Carnage” premieres this Thursday Oct. 4 at 7:30 pm on campus.

It is the second show of the semester being put on by “Masquers,” a student-led theatre organization on campus.

“God of Carnage,” is a reproduction of the 2006 dark comedy written by Yasmina Reza. It tells the story of two Brooklyn couples coming together to discuss a playground altercation between their sons.

However, as the night goes on, the couples encounter dilemmas in finding solutions to the situation resulting in unexpected drama.    

Director Olivia Quillman with her cast members. Photo by Gabriel Williams.

This will be the first Masquers show in three years that is directed by a student. And thusly the student direction is very invested in the development of the play.

Olivia Quillman, student director, said, “This play really resembles today’s world, especially in politics.”                                                                                                                                               

Quillman has been inspired to enhance her passion for theatre ever since her freshman year of college. She plans to one day direct some of her own plays by working as a playwright. “It’s important to be well-rounded,” Quillman added.

Four students, including Caroline Pace, will be the cast members of the show.  Pace is a freshman and theatre major and wanted to audition for the play “out of curiosity.” Pace will play the role of Veronica, a demanding wife.

Brett Marchand, also a sophomore theatre major, said, “I just always had the desire to act in front of a crowd.” Marchand will play the role of Michael, a repressed husband who is controlled by his wife. “I’m excited to see how the crowd will react to some scenes in the show,” Marchand added.

The two other cast members are Jordan Davis as Alan and Rebecca Perez as Annette.

Not only are the cast members excited but the students are thrilled to witness the play too.

Lacey Mitchell, junior biology major, enjoys watching plays on campus. “It’s amazing to see students express themselves through acting and become emotionally connected with themselves and theatre.”

The show will run from Oct 4 through Oct 6 at 7:30 pm and Oct 7 at 3 pm in the BlackBox Theatre of Jenkins Hall.

Tickets are free for GSU students, faculty and staff with a valid I.D. General admission tickets are $12, with discounts available for military, seniors and children. Tickets can be purchased by visiting georgiasouthern.edu/armstrongtickets or by visiting the Fine Arts Box Office in the Fine Arts Hall.

So, grab a friend and enjoy the show.