Campus Corkboard Oct 18-24

Here is a list of events on the Armstrong Campus as well as around the city of Savannah!

Thursday, Oct 18

Certified Healthcare Information Systems Security Practitioner Course

9 am – 5 pm

Solms Hall 203

This 4-day instructor-led vendor-neutral Certified Healthcare Information Systems Security Practitioner certification course covers the skills and knowledge to implement the best IT Healthcare Practices, as well as, regulatory compliance and standards in the healthcare industry.This is a live on campus instructor-led course that culminates with taking industry certification exam.

Folio Foundations – Web Accessibility (Documents)

12:15 pm – 1 pm

Solms Hall 207

Web accessibility is the practice of making websites and digital media usable by people of all abilities, but especially those with sensory, physical, and cognitive disabilities.

Basic Conversational Spanish

6 pm – 8 pm

Gamble Hall 119

The focus of this is course is basic conversational abilities. Although this course focuses on conversation, it also develops listening, reading and writing abilities. Instruction will also include how to develop sentences, answer questions and make comparisons using the present tense. This class will consist of lecture, audio, visual and speaking in partners and whole group skits.

Excel Basics

6 pm – 8 pm

Gamble Hall

This course offers a fundamental understanding of Microsoft Excel 2016, including basic Excel environment, navigating the worksheet and ribbon, creating and formatting worksheets, entering and editing data, using functions and formulas, controlling the print output, and using basic tables. At the conclusion of the class, you will be able to use templates, formulas, functions, charts, graphics, and styles.

Savannah Stage Company presents “Tuck Everlasting”

10/18-10/20

8 pm – 9:15 pm

The Pop Up Playhouse-115 E. Lathrop Ave.

$15

Savannah Stage Company will be beginning their fall season with “Tuck Everlasting.” It’s the story of the Tuck family who try to live in hiding because they have found a magic spring that grants them eternal life. However their life becomes troubled when a 10-year-old girl learns their secret along with a stranger who followed her there.

Films for a Cause-Dreaming of a Jewish Christmas

7 pm – 9 pm

Savannah Jewish Educational Alliance (JEA)-5111 Abercorn St.

Come see a musical documentary at the JEA about Jewish songwriters Irving Berlin, Mel Torme, Jay Livingston, Ray Evans, Gloria Shayne Baker, and Johnny Marks who wrote many of the Christmas songs we know and love such as, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “Silver Bells,” and “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree.” They came here as immigrants and used their talents to make a better world.

Friday, Oct 19

Film: The Queen of Spain/ La Reina de España

2:30 pm – 5 pm

Ogeechee Theater

The Gracia Roldán Spanish Film Club Festival kicks off Latino Heritage Celebration Month’s first movie with The Queen of Spain.

Georgia Theatre Conference

10/17-10/20

Student Union

Armstrong will be hosting the annual Georgia Theatre Conference (GTC) on campus this year. College students from all over the state will be coming here to audition for professional theatre companies. If you’re interested, come to the Student Union to participate in fun workshops that can help you hone your acting skills. There will also be $5 cookout lunches available for everyone at Compass Point Plaza Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

From Drowning to Dysentery: A Deadly Look at Fort Pulaski

6:30 pm – 8:30 pm

Fort Pulaski-US Highway 80 E

$18

Fort Pulaski will be taking part in Halloween festivities in it’s own unique way with it’s From Drowning to Dysentery tour. Go on this lantern tour with the National Park Rangers to learn more about the darker side of the fort and Cockspur Island.  

Saturday, Oct 20

10th Annual Moonlight Garden Ride

5 pm – 10 pm

Grayson Stadium-1401 E. Victory Dr.

$30

It’s time for Savannah’s 10th annual Moonlight Garden Ride! If you’ve ever wanted to explore Savannah on your bike without worrying about safety concerns, now you can! The entire route will have police escorts. The ride will start at Grayson Stadium, go through the historic neighborhoods, and then back to the stadium. There will food, drinks, and live music at the stadium upon return. Proceeds will go towards the non-profit Savannah Bicycle Campaign.  

Film Biz Recyling’s Hallow-Green Fest Featuring Ashley McBryde

6 pm – 10 pm

The Wesley-2201 Bull St.

$30

Local prop house Film Biz Recycling will be holding it’s first annual Hallow-Green Fest fundraiser. The proceeds from the event will go towards prop shop expansions so more donations can be taken in instead of adding more waste to our landfills. Country singer Ashley McBryde will be there performing a concert. There will also be donations accepted at the event for costumes for children who cannot afford to dress up. Come have fun for a good cause and remember to wear your costumes!

Sunday, Oct 21

Lecture: Poetry: Why Read It? Why Write It? Who Cares?

4 pm

Flannery O’Connor Childhood Home-207 E. Charlton Street

The poet Olivia Stiffler will be giving a lecture at the Flannery O’Connor house. She will be talking about how poetry has affected her life and why she thinks most people say they’re not interested in poetry even though many seek it out when they’re going through sad times. Stiffler will also discuss what she believes is the ongoing renaissance of the modern narrative poem and how it’s storytelling can affect people.

WITCH way de we go Savannah?

1 pm – 5 pm

Emmet Park-300 E Bay St

$10

Have you ever wanted to go on a scavenger hunt in your Halloween costume? Now you can this Sunday! Bring your friends on this scavenger hunt that covers downtown. There will be prizes for the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place winners. There will also be food trucks and other vendors when you find all the clues. Ticket price includes a t-shirt.

Monday, Oct 22

Senior II Exhibition

9 am – 5 pm

Fine Arts Gallery

Graduating Seniors showcase their college portfolios for this capstone project.

Student Government Association Senate Meeting

12:15 pm

Student Union Ballroom A

The Armstrong and Liberty Campus SGA Senate holds a weekly senate meeting every Monday. All students are welcomed to attend.

American Sign Language: The Basics

6 pm – 7:30 pm

Gamble Hall

This class provides a foundation in American Sign Language (ASL) for all ages. It focuses on basic vocabulary, structure, syntax, and grammar. Participants will learn to master the basics of finger-spelling, numbers, colors, facial, grammar, and sentence structure. Students will also learn conversational and cultural behaviors necessary to hold a beginning-level conversation in ASL.

Tuesday, Oct 23

Senior II Exhibition

9 am – 5 pm

Fine Arts Gallery

14th Japan Foundation Film Series – A Story of Yonosuke

5 pm

Ogeechee Theater

French Conversation Table

6 pm

Student Union

Come join us weekly for an hour of conversation in French. All levels are welcome.

Faculty Series Recital Standards

7:30 pm

Fine Arts Auditorium

Faculty Member Dr. Tim Kintzinger Performs his Recital Standards.

Wednesday, Oct 24

Senior II Exhibition

9 am – 5 pm

Fine Arts Gallery

It’s on Us Commit to Consent Rally

10 am – 3 pm

Outside the Student Union

The “It’s On Us” campaign was launched in 2014 by the White House in an effort to address sexual assault on college campuses. The campaign aims to prevent sexual violence by asking students to change their own attitudes and practice bystander intervention. Bystander Intervention refers to noticing when a sexual assault is about to occur and stepping in to stop it.

American Sign Language: The Basics

6 pm – 7:30 pm

Gamble Hall

Campus Conversation: Misconceptions About Religious Dogmas

6 – 7:30 pm

Student Union Ballroom A

Sustainability Seminar Series

7 pm

Ogeechee Theater

Dr. David Orr, an environmental leader and author, will be giving a seminar at the Statesboro Campus and will be simulcast to the Armstrong Campus.

US Air Force Mission Winds Clarinet Quartet

7:30 pm

Fine Arts Auditorium

The ensemble, comprised of Eb, Bb, and Bass Clarinets, is dedicated to presenting to its audiences the total spectrum of today’s musical literature.