Club Mud offers students the opportunity to learn ceramics

Club Mud is a ceramics-based club that provides the perfect space and community to pick up new skills or, if you already dabble in the art of ceramics, sharpen your existing skills.

They teach you everything from wheel throwing, hand building and slab rolling to raku firing.

You can catch demonstrations of these skills at their weekly meetings on Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. at the Ceramics and Sculpture building, which is located behind the construction in lot 33.

This club is open to all majors and encourages people to bring friends along as well.

Martha Hause, a sophomore IT major and IS minor, says she discovered Club Mud through the organization fair on campus last semester.

“So I decided to join because I missed it, I missed doing it on a day to day basis,” Hause said after explaining how she got into pottery in high school.

“You need art in your life,” chimed in Makayla Mazzarell, a sophomore exercise science major. “I kind of just came with an open mind, you know, let’s just see how it goes. If we like it we like it, if we don’t, we don’t and I ended up liking it, a lot,” said Mazzarell.

When asked about the benefits of joining Club Mud, Hause described it as joining a family in a sense, “Everyone talks to each other here even though they may not know each other like that, they are still accepting of everybody.”

Mazzarell said for her, it gave her the opportunity to meet different people who have all types of interest but also one common interest in art or pottery.

They have a $35 entrance fee that will allow you to have access to unlimited clay, and studio access 7 days a week anytime between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

By paying this fee you are also able to join them on a trip, and this semester their trip is to the First Friday Art Festival in Macon on Friday, April 5. Secretary of Club Mud, Shelby Head, says you can expect lots of art booths, artists to talk to and loads of food and music!

If you think pottery isn’t exactly your thing, you can still support them and chat with them at their upcoming sale events this semester. They will be having a sale on Saturday, April 6 at the Botanic Garden from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. And they will also be having a sale at the end of the semester on April 25 from11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Russell Union Rotunda, where members will be able to sell anything they have made this semester and keep nearly all of the profit.

Ariel Badie, The George-Anne Candidate, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu