Forget Football: Super Museum Sunday is Commercial-Free

Lila Miller, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Football fans across the nation either revered the Patriots or the Rams the past Super Bowl Sunday, while the Georgia Historical Society (GHS) made plans of their own for this coming Sunday.

Once a year, Georgia museums, state parks and other historical sites open their doors to the public for free in conjunction with the Georgia Historical Festival. This year, the Georgia Historical Festival takes place at the Wormsloe State Historic Site on Sunday Feb. 10.

The festival serves to cast light onto Georgia’s history and enrich residents and visitors alike with an education in Georgian history and their earliest efforts in establishing a colony.

This coming weekend, GHS is hosting free events in over 80 counties in celebration of Georgia’s founding history.

Although other events and museums outside of Chatham county are participating, GSU’s Armstrong students may find it practical to stay close by and take advantage of the free admission to various spots within Savannah.

One of the main events of this year’s Super Museum Sunday is the Colonial Faire and Muster held at Wormsloe from 10 am-4 pm. The event is family-friendly and serves as an annual living history program at Wormsloe Historic Site. The faire features “costumed interpreters and vendors offering students and adults a taste of the excitement and adversity of life for the first settlers of colonial Georgia.”

Super Museum Sunday also offers free admission to several different parks and nature sites. The newly re-opened Oatland Island Wildlife Center, Ossabaw Island, the Coastal Botanical Gardens and Bonaventure Cemetery are just a few of the sites to check out if the weather wishes to cooperate.

The event also allows many historical churches to be viewed by the public, regardless of congregation or affiliation, including the First African Baptist Church, First Bryan Baptist Church and St. John’s Church all of which are located in downtown Savannah.

There are military memorials, forts and exhibits available to be viewed by the public as well. Fort Jackson, Fort Pulaski National Monument, the Webb Military Museum, Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum, Savannah History Museum, Battlefield Memorial Park and the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force are all open to the public for free.

In conjunction with Black History Month, GHS also has numerous historical sites open

to pay homage to African- Americans including the Beach Institute African-American Cultural Center, Massie Heritage Center, the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum, as well as the Owens-Thomas House and Slave Quarters within the Telfair Museums.

So if football is not your forte, consider participating in this Sunday’s Super Museum Sunday, from 12 pm – 4 pm at various locations. For more information and other participating museums, please visit https://georgiahistory.com/events/2019-super-museum-sunday.