SGA Talks Voting and Food

Stanton Dobson, Copy Editor 

The SGA had their weekly meeting on Aug. 26 and discussed the recently announced amendment to Georgia Southern’s commencement ceremonies, the reveal of the 2019 fiscal budget plan, news about the Southern Café and the upcoming installment of Starbucks and news about voter registration training. 

Michael Morgan, Director of Armstrong Campus Dining, broke the news about Southern Café and the upcoming Starbucks.

He stated that Southern Café is projected to open as soon as the first week in October.

Students will have to wait a little longer for Starbucks as its projected opening may be stalled to late January. 

“I cannot say for sure being that we haven’t gotten a construction schedule yet. But as soon as I get that I’ll be here to let you all know. Starbucks is getting started, they cleared out the space for that location and we’ll start the process of preparing the space as soon as possible, and what I hear right now is that we’re looking for an early spring open.”

According to assistant professor, Kimberly Martin, the Chatham County Board of Elections will be meeting next Thursday Sept. 3 in the Student Union Ballroom for voter registration training, which will begin at 10 a.m. 

“…the goal of this whole thing is to create a group of students or maybe even an organization through SGA that registers other students to vote on campus. National voter registration day is Sept. 24, and we’d like to have a series of events on that day particularly voter registration day.”

On Wednesday, Aug. 28, there will be an event at the Armstrong REC Center at the volleyball court with free amenities. 

SGA meetings are regularly held every Monday at 12:15 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.