USG Chancellor Steve Wrigley to retire this summer

Credit: USG

Miriam Boston, Correspondent

After 36 years of service to the University System of Georgia, Chancellor Steve Wrigley announced plans to retire this summer.

“It has been a great privilege and honor to serve the citizens of Georgia,” said Wrigley in a USG press release, “During a career in education policy and administration, I have worked with many incredible people and made countless cherished friendships.”

Wrigley has served as the 13th Chancellor for USG since 2017, overseeing 26 public colleges and universities, 48,000 faculty and staff and more than 341,000 students. 

Chancellor Wrigley has been a tireless advocate for our students and faculty throughout the University System and, thanks to his dedicated leadership, the Peach State is well-positioned to continue providing a world-class education to our best and brightest and produce a workforce that serves as a model to the country,” said Georgia Governor Brian Kemp in the press release.

During his time as Chancellor, Wrigley focused on USG’s top priorities: making college more affordable and efficient and ensuring more Georgians enter the workforce with college credentials.

“The Board and I want to thank Dr. Wrigley for his commitment to public service, his dedication to education and to serving our students, faculty and staff”, said Board of Regents Chairman Sachin Shailendra in the release.

The Board is now discussing its next steps for choosing Wrigley’s successor.